5 Ways to Make Detroit Feel Like Home for the Holidays
One of the hardest things about travel nursing might be when your assignment takes you away from home for the holidays. Even if your family travels with you, there’s still something about waking up in a strange place that just doesn’t feel quite homey.
But no matter where you are, the excitement of a new city is still one of the best things about travel nursing. And with a little effort, you might just be able to make your temporary home feel like, well, home.
Here are 5 things Travel Nurses do that make Detroit feel like home this holiday season:
1. America’s Thanksgiving Parade
Kick off the holiday season with America’s Thanksgiving Parade. Music, floats, giant balloons, and entertainment travel a two-mile route down historic Woodward Avenue. Starting at the Detroit Institute of Arts, the parade passes cultural and historical sites like the home stadiums of four of Detroit’s professional sports teams, the historic Fox Theater, the stunning Art Deco Guardian Building, The Spirit of Detroit statue, and more.
2. Ice Skating at Campus Martius Park
In the heart of downtown, Campus Martius Park is a winter wonderland in the colder months. Beginning with the annual Detroit Tree Lighting Ceremony in late November, which features a 60-foot Norway Spruce, the popular park provides fun, entertainment, and an ice-skating rink larger than another famous rink in New York City. It’s a perfect place to get your merry on.
3. Beacon Park
Partnering with Campus Martius Park to kick off the holiday season, Light up Beacon Park features the Detroit Children’s Tree, horse and carriage rides, and a heated tent dressed up inside like a ski lodge where you can warm up. Throughout the season, Beacon Park features game nights, football game watch parties, an Ugly Christmas Sweater Silent Disco, Family Fun Day, and a New Year’s Eve Kids Countdown.
4. Sounds of the Season
Music is in Detroit’s soul, and the holiday season doesn’t disappoint. A few of this year’s highlights include the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, a Mannheim Steamroller Christmas, Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas musical, Cirque Dreams Holidaze, and Moscow Ballet’s Great Russian Nutcracker. And nothing says “welcome home” quite like the Detroit Symphony Orchestra’s traditional Home for the Holidays concerts.
5. Holiday Markets
Detroit hosts several seasonal markets for festive shopping downtown.
Glass sheds at Cadillac Square and Capitol Park feature seasonal items, clothing, gourmet treats, handmade items, and more. And Detroit’s most loved way to spend a Saturday, Eastern Market, hosts six special Holiday Market days. They feature food, gifts, and Michigan made products, making an already magical Detroit tradition even more special.
But pack your winter boots and parka — winter is cold in Detroit! There’s no doubt, however, that it’s worth it. You’ll find enough food, entertainment, and shopping to make Detroit one of your favorite assignments.
For more on Detriot during the holidays click here
Are You Ready to Start Your Traveling Nursing Career with Stability Healthcare?
Stability Healthcare is an industry leader in travel nursing, with excellent benefits, PTO, and competitive pay. Sign up today to become a travel nurse, and get instant access to thousands of open jobs. Our representatives look forward to helping you launch your new career in travel nursing.Read More
Licensure by endorsement, sounds pretty straightforward right? Well, it is the term used when someone has an RN license in one jurisdiction and wants to work in another. Roughly half of U.S. states associate with the nurse licensure compact, which is basically an agreement which enables an RN to be mobile in several states. Finding accurate, up-to-date information regarding this subject can be tedious and frustrating. So we’ve put together pertinent information on how to obtain licensing.
In certain situations, a licensed RN doesn’t need to obtain additional requirements. It all depends on your home state licensing agreements. Some states offer a multi-state license to nurses. It’s best to check with your home state licensing rules for clarity.
- The first step within the initiation process is to complete your licensing exam. Registered nurses must take this exam called the NCLEX-RN, short for National Council Licensure Examination. This test determines if a candidate is prepared for entry-level nursing practice. The exam is comprised of four main categories and eight subcategories. Questions are formatted predominantly in a four-question multiple choice style. The test can consist of up to 265 questions and you will have a maximum of six hours to complete. Optional breaks are allowed at intervals.
The four major test categories:
- Safe And Effective Care Environment
- Health Promotion and Maintenance
- Psychosocial Integrity
- Physiological Integrity
The NCLEX-RN exam is a pass or fail type of assessment. Conclusions of your test result will be determined by the administrator. Keep in mind, within 2-4 weeks, you will be notified by your State Board of Nursing. As with any test, go into it with confidence, but if you do fail, it’s not the end of your world. Many applicants don’t pass on their first try. You’ll receive a diagnostic report detailing what you need correction in. You’ll be permitted to retake the test after 45 days. If necessary, the second time will be a breeze.
- The Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC, for short), which was created by the NCSBN (Nurse Council of State Boards of Nursing) to give nurses the ability to obtain multistate licensing. This compact license allows nurses to provide health care across multistate jurisdictions. They’re able to practice in one state, as well as another and no have to pay additional licensing fees.
- Currently, there are roughly 25 states that participate in NLC.
- Eligibility requires an RN to not have any disciplinary actions taken against them.
- Their primary residence must be one of the participating states.
- Of course, they must be able to meet the educational requirements from their compact state.
- Keep current on licensing fees from all their jurisdictions. Certain states are particular when it comes to up-to-date licensing. It’s best to do an annual check on updates for each state.
- There are some states that offer temporary licenses, they’re often referred to as “walkthrough states”. Some states offer temporary licensure by endorsement for people who are relocating to another state, so they can continue employment. They are temporarily available for 30 days and up to 6 months.
- This is used to fill up positions in another area pretty quickly. These positions get filled up pretty fast since they’re in high demand. Since these are temporary licenses, nurses who are gonna stay longer than a six month period should apply for a permanent license in that particular state. If there are multiple states where you practice, it’s smart to check with a recruiter beforehand.
- They are a few sites that have assignments available for traveling nurses.
Fees and Requirements
- Obtaining licensing for compact states isn’t a difficult task to endure, it just takes some necessary steps. Of course, one of them is fees. The licensing fees range from $100-$400, depending on that particular state.
- If you want a permanent license in various states, then you’ll just have to pay the appropriate fees for each state.
- A criminal background and fingerprinting check is required.
- Continuing education is required for each state you participate in.
- Your proof of identity is required as well. This can be verified through your state driver’s license, passport, and your social security card.
- In some states, references are required as verification of work history.
Hope this article contained enough pertinent and relevant information to steer you in the right direction towards obtaining your compact license. Having your compact license as a nurse can make your life a lot easier. Most recruiters prefer nurses with their compact license because they are verified and have more credibility. This expedites the hiring process, making their job easier and gives you more opportunities. As long as you have a detailed plan and execution, there’s nothing in your way. I’ve found some great nursing opportunities from sites like this. There are a few others but it’s best to go with credible services like StabilityRead More
1. Working the Night Shift? Pack a Picnic
Many Travel Nurses work the night shift, so if you’re working the 4th then you may want to enjoy an early breakfast/brunch picnic.
Take all those adorable red, white, and blue recipes you made and celebrate with a picnic in the park.
2. Celebrate at Work
Just because you’re at work doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate the holiday! Donning a set of red, white, and blue scrubs brings a bit of the holiday into the hospital.
Celebrating doesn’t just mean going to barbecues. It can also mean adding a little levity to your workplace.
3. Celebrate on the Beach
If you’re lucky enough to have travel nurse assignment near or within driving distance of a beach,
pack up for a fun day in the sun. If you stay until the evening, expect to see fireworks.
4. Explore the local area for the best Firework Viewing Party
Local Newspaper apps and Facebook events can direct you to the cities some of the best local hangout areas for viewing parties.
5. Make new friends with fellow travel nurses!
Speaking of food, why not invite new colleagues to a summer cookout?
Common things bring people together and beyond it being the 4th of July, most other travel nurses are also looking for a small taste of home. Why not host a Travel Nurse Potluck and make new friends from your facility.
How You Can Make the Most of Each Assignment
You worked hard to earn your nursing credentials and get your career started. Now it’s time to put your credentials to work for you. As a travel nurse, you’ll have incredible opportunities to explore countless new places. A nursing job lasts far longer than a typical vacation, which means you can get to know each new city like a local.
Making the most out of each new destination is a process that begins before you travel there. Research your new home in advance and make a list of everything you’d like to do and see while you’re there. Perhaps you’d love to explore the nightlife or immerse yourself in the city’s cultural heritage, art scene, or natural wonders. Be ambitious with your plans; there’s plenty of time to do it all. And if you fall in love with the city and want to extend your stay, just ask about extending your contract. Another great thing about working with Stability is the company’s high rate of contract extensions.
Are You Ready to Start Your Exciting New Career?
Stability Healthcare is an industry leader in travel nursing, with excellent benefits, PTO, and competitive pay. Sign up today to become a traveler, and get instant access to thousands of open jobs. Our representatives look forward to helping you launch your new career in travel nursing.Read More
Trends in Nursing 2019
There are lots of opportunities for both personal and professional development, especially in nursing, and within a rapidly changing environment. Read on to see the trends in nursing in 2019 and how this can influence what you plan to do as a nurse.
Technology is Increasing
Technology has a huge influence on nursing from remote monitoring to robotic surgery and genomics. Targeted treatments are on the rise in cancer, and patients have shorter stays in hospital due to improved surgical and radiology techniques. Nurses need to be aware of the best and latest apps to advise patients on their conditions and have to be competent with computer literacy. There are lots of opportunities for nurses to work differently due to technology. This includes remote monitoring and being able to explain new treatments to patients.Care delivery may be home based instead of in a hospital. Apps are also vital to nurses for finding travel nursing assignments, this is why Stability provides a recruiter free job searching platform.
Specialists are in Demand
Nurses with expertise in critical care, oncology, pediatrics, renal, and operating department nursing are in demand as the need for these specialist skills is on the rise. Travel nurses with these skills are particularly in demand and can get high rates of pay by having these qualifications.
The best travel nursing agencies such as Stability Healthcare will ensure competitive rates are negotiated for specialist nurses, leaving the nurse to focus on the job. By being flexible, nurses can find work all over the country and beyond if they have specialist expertise.
Bilingual Nurses are on Trend
The USA has changing demographics with an increase in the population of those where English is not a first language. Nurses with a second language will be in demand to care for people who have limited knowledge of English. Some travel nurse jobs may require a particular language ability in addition to nursing qualifications and to care for specific clients. It is the ideal time to update any language skills.
Work Life Balance
Prevention of ill health and maintaining a positive work life balance are big trends for 2019. The cost of healthcare is rising so there is a focus on preventing ill health and being able to have some downtime to recharge. Having an exercise regime, maintaining a healthy weight, and spending time relaxing are vital for nurses on the go. If you do one thing in 2019, look after yourself and introduce a couple of healthy habits into your routine.It ensures you are in top condition to work in a demanding role.
The Nursing Shortage
2019 will continue to see shortages of nurses, particularly those with a specialist qualification. if you are a travel nurse it is important to sign up with the best travel nursing agency as they take care of placements and fee negotiations for you and leave you to focus on caring. The best agencies also attract the top jobs so in a shortage a nurse can be assured of getting some excellent placements.
2019 promises new developments and opportunities for travel nurses. By anticipating trends a professional travel nurse is ideally positioned to work in a variety of settings and use their expertise to provide excellent care.