Licensure Guide

To help ease the process of finding work as a traveling RN, you have to be licensed by the state where you will be working as a nurse, and you will also need a multistate license.

View Licensing Guides Per State

Search Results

All Professions, Travel Nurses
All Professions, Travel Nurses
All Professions, Travel Nurses
West Virginia
All Professions, Travel Nurses
All Professions, Travel Nurses
All Professions, Travel Nurses

Licensing Guide For Travel Nurses In Washington


Temporary License

  1. Complete an application online
  2. Pay associated fees (follow provided instructions)
  3. Verification of your original state license by examination
    1. If the state participates in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate Washington as the receipt of the verification.
    2. If the state does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Boards directly for further instructions. You will need to send them the Verification of Licensure form (p. 9 of the application) to complete and then they will submit it directly to the Washington State Board of Nursing on your behalf.
  4. Proof of an active license – if your license from your original state of licensure is not current or active, you need proof of a current or active license.
    1. If you have an active license from a state that participates with Nursys, the Washington Board of Nursing can obtain license information.
    2. If you do not have a current or active license with a Nursys participating state, see the state website where your license is active. Print the page showing a current or active license. Send this proof with your application.
  5. Verification of nursing education – if your nursing education cannot be verified from your original state of license on Nursys or through the Non- Nursys license verification form, transcripts will be required.
    1. The transcripts need to be sent directly from your school of nursing or from another state board of nursing directly to our office.
    2. If you were educated outside the United States, transcripts may be required.
  6. Certify that you have completed a minimum of seven hours of education in the prevention, transmission and treatment of AIDS.
    *This includes the topics of etiology and epidemiology, testing and counseling, infection control guidelines, clinical manifestations and treatment, legal and ethical issues to include confidentiality, and psychosocial issues to include special population considerations.
    *You must maintain records documenting said education for two years and be prepared to submit those records to the department if requested.
  7. English Proficiency Examination (if applicable)
    1. An English proficiency test is required if you received your nursing education outside of the United States except for Canada (Quebec nursing education requires the English proficiency test), United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, (Samoa, Guam, Mariana Islands, and the Virgin Islands).
      A temporary practice permit will automatically be issued to you if all other licensing requirements are met pending the FBI background check. You must complete this next step before your temporary license expires in order to receive a permanent license.
  8. Fingerprints & FBI background check
    1. If you have an out-of-state address on your application, you are required to complete an FBI fingerprint background check (not out of the country).
    2. You must obtain your fingerprints on the Department of Health fingerprint card sent to you once we receive your application.


  1. Verification of Original State License
  2. Verification of all state licenses
  3. Nursing Graduation verification


Temporary License: Approximately 3 weeks upon receipt of all required documents. The temporary license is valid for 180 days.

Permanent License: Approximately 6 weeks upon receipt of all required documents.


Renewal of your license occurs every year

Up to 90 days prior to your birthday

Required contact hours: 531 hours of active practice and 45 clock hours of continuing education within a 3-year cycle.


Endorsement Application

Start building your career today!