Nursing Salary Details: Who Makes More Private Duty or ER Nurses?
Looking for the best travel nursing agency? Want the best nursing salary? If you’re thinking about nursing as a career, you might be excited by the lure of travel duty nursing. You can visit exotic locations and enjoy time off in places you would like to vacation. On the other hand, private duty nursing or hospital-related nursing professions are also quite attractive and lucrative.
Here’s the salary breakdown for various nursing professions, pros, cons, and tips to help you decide which area you might want to specialize in.
Salaries for Registered Nurses
Maybe you are thinking about becoming a registered nurse (RN). The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics states the average annual salary for registered nurses is $68,450.
To earn your degree as a registered nurse, you must attend a 2-year associate’s degree program or a 4-year bachelor’s degree program in nursing. When you complete the nursing diploma program you will then need to take and pass the NCLEX-RN examination to receive your license in registered nursing.
Average Salary for Registered Nurses by Industry
If you did a search for “What’s the most RNs can make?”, “What’s the highest RN salary?” or “What’s the most money registered nurses can make?” Depending on the area or industry you go into, these are the annual mean wages (AMW) based on U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- Specialty RNs make $77,290.
- General medicine professions and hospital RNs make $75,820.
- Outpatient care facility RNs make $75,680.
- Substance abuse and psychiatric RNs make $71,290.
- Home health care service RNs make $70,230.
- Private doctor’s office RNs make $66,890.
- Nursing care facility RNs make $65,710.
- Want to make $288,000 in nursing? See the highest salaries nurses can make further below.
States Paying RNs the Highest Salaries
If you searched for “nursing salary in California”, “nursing salary 2018”, or “nursing salary by state”, you might want to know which state pays nurses the most. It’s California.
Here is the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data by state based on average mean wages:
- California pays RNs an AMW of $102,700 with the highest salaries in San Francisco, South San Francisco, and Redwood, City, CA at $139,700.
- Boston, Cambridge, Newton MA RNs make $97,130.
- Hawaii RNs make $96,990.
- Los Angeles, Long Beach, and Glendale, CA RNs make $95,650.
- New York and New Jersey RNs make $90,840.
- District of Columbia RNs make $90,110.
- Massachusetts RNs make $89,330.
- Oregon RNs make $88,770.
- Texas RNs make $72,070.
- New York RNs make $83,450.
- Florida RNs make $64,890.
- Pennsylvania RNs make $69,820.
Note: When selecting an area, consider the cost of living and crime rate. While Hawaii and Florida are beautiful locations, California can be expensive to live in.
Salaries for Advanced Practice Nurses
One field that offers higher salaries is advanced practical (AP) nursing. To work in this particular area, you would need to have a master’s degree in a specialty area.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics states the average annual salary for advanced practice nurses is $160,270. The average salary is $107,640 for certified nurse anesthetists, nurse practitioners, family nurse practitioners, certified nurse midwives, and clinical nurse specialists.
Want the Highest Salary Nurse Anesthetists Can Make?
If you’re interested in which nursing professions make the most money. Here are a few salary details from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- In Northeast Iowa (non-metropolitan areas) nurse anesthetists make an AMW of $288,780.
- In San Francisco, CA (metropolitan division) nurse anesthetists make an AMW of $243,390.
- In Tampa, St. Petersburg, and Clearwater, FL nurse anesthetists make an AMW of $193,190.
- In Montana, nurse anesthetists make an AMW of $252,460 followed by Wyoming with $250,460.
Note: When considering these areas, factor in extreme weather that may impact where you live and how you commute to work. Florida and Iowa receive their fair share of storms. Montana and Iowa can have severe winters affecting commutes. California is expensive to live in and prone to earthquakes.
Want the Highest Salary Nurse Practitioners Can Make?
If you want to know the highest salary nurse practitioners (NPs) make based on annual mean wages, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics states:
- Palm Bay, Titusville, and Melbourne, FL NPs make $164,180.
- Redwood City, San Francisco, and South San Francisco NPs make $151,660.
- Spokane and Spokane Valley, WA NPs make $150,040.
- Alexandria, LA NPs make $144,010.
- Salem, Peabody, and Beverly, MA NPs make $142,730.
- Big Thicket, TX (non-metropolitan) NPs make $143,670.
- Alaska (non-metropolitan) NPs make $137,330.
- Central Louisiana (non-metropolitan) NPs make $131,950.
- Southeast Alaska (non-metropolitan) NPs make $131,110.
- New Mexico (West and North, non-metropolitan) NPs make $129,020.
Salaries for Licensed Practical Nurses
If you’re considering a career as a licensed practical nurse (LPN). The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics states the average annual salary for licensed practical nurses is $44,090.
To earn your degree as a licensed practical nurse, you must attend a 1-year program at a vocational school, a hospital or community college. Salaries for LPNs can vary depending on the specialty of nursing that you go into after graduation. Other considerations include your years of experience.
Recruiting Bonuses and Packages
Nursing recruitment perks can include starting bonuses, relocation help, tuition reimbursement, daycare, and help with housing. Bonuses can range anywhere from about $1,000 up to $20,000.
Salary Incentives for RN Travel Nurses
Interested in travel nursing? If you did a search for “How much money do travel nurses make?”
Travel nurses can fill critical roles and can command higher salaries. Benefits include that hospitals may recruit for travel nurses by offering lucrative starting salaries and hiring bonuses. Downsides include not knowing the staff, hospital layout or location. Travel nurse salaries include:
- Agency travel nurses can earn over $100,000.
- Glass Door states average salaries are $78,120 with the range from $52,000 to $93,000.
- PayScale sets the range from $43,207 to $106,926 based on hourly rates up to $49.88 and overtime up to $69.05 per hour.
Looking for the Best Travel Nursing Agency?
Stability Healthcare can help you find the best travel nurse jobs and the best traveling nurse companies. Stability Healthcare is the best travel nursing agency in California. They offer the highest paying travel nurse jobs and lucrative signing bonuses. Search for nursing jobs by job types like ER, OR, or L&D jobs. You can also search for nursing jobs by state or search by nursing salary. To start an exciting career in a field you enjoy, contact Stability Healthcare today!